Registered subjects are invited to participate in research studies at LEEPS. The research studies help social scientists better understand decision-making by human subjects. Information that could identify you will remain confidential and will disclosed only with your permission or as required by law.
It is against LEEPS Lab's policy to create multiple accounts. If we detect you violated this policy, you will be excluded from participating in all of our future experiments.
You may sign up to participate in specific experiment sessions using our web calendar. Some sessions may have restrictions on who is eligible to participate and/or a consent agreement in addition to this one. If so, this will be clearly described and enforced during the sign up process. You will only be allowed to sign up for experiments that you were invited to by us via email.
If you chose to participate, you will be asked to make decisions for which you will be paid. At the beginning of the session you will receive detailed and accurate instructions describing how payments will depend on decisions made by you and other participants. The rules and the payments may vary across sessions and may differ between participants. Interaction takes place over a computer network, and your personal identity is not revealed to other participants. Should you choose to withdraw after listening to the instructions, or if we cannot use you in the session for any reason, you are entitled to a show up payment and are under no further obligation to us. If you choose to stay for the decision making portion of the session, you are entitled to the show-up payment plus whatever money you have earned during the course of the session. Payment is made following the session in cash. Payment is made in private and you will be asked to sign a payment receipt. The receipt is for accounting purposes only and will not be linked to your responses.
Participants do not waive any legal rights through their participation. Your participation is voluntary. If you decide to participate, you are free to withdraw your consent and discontinue participation at any time without penalty. Your decision whether or not to participate will not affect your relationship with UCSC or any other organization. The use of deception at LEEPS is prohibited. If you have any questions about LEEPS, the research conducted at LEEPS, or if you wish to remove your registration information from our database, contact the Lab Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions regarding your rights as a research subject, you may contact the Institutional Review Board / Human Subjects Committee, Office of Sponsored Projects, 415 Kerr Hall, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA 95064; telephone: (831) 459-4114.
- In the so-called "Experiment Recruitment System" of the Experimental Economics Laboratory, all participant information will not be passed on to a third party. We use the data only for the following purposes:
- to inform and send invitations to potential participants about new laboratory and/or internet experiments
- to accomplish a scientifically motivated selection of participants for certain experiment participant requirements
- examine and track the participants experiment session history within our laboratory
- There is no published record connecting the identity or personal data gathered in the "Experiment Recruitment System" and a participant's experiment data gathered during an experiment session.
- A participant can determine at any time that they do not want to receive further invitations to any future experiments.
- A registered participant can request at any time to have us delete without reservation all personal information about them gathered in our recruitment database. To initiate this request, an informal written and signed request for deletion is to be send to the Learning & Experimental Economics Projects, Daniel Friedman, Economics Department, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064.
- Data is generated by the decisions that the participants make at any given experiment session.
- This data is evaluated scientifically by the Learning & Experimental Economics Projects of Santa Cruz. The decision data will essentially be made anonymous, and will not used in such a way as to allow the data to be tracked back to any specific participant.
- The generated anonymous data is used for the production by scientific research and lectures. This work is published.